Descendants of Thomas Mitchell
Thomas MITCHELL, minister of Udny (1604-1622), Logie-Buchan (1622-1624), and Turriff (1624-1649),
a relation of Bishop Patrick FORBES of Aberdeen, d. 23 Jul 1649.
A zealous Covenanter, he was a member of the General Assemblies in 1638 and 1639 and of the Commission in 1645.
He was robbed by followers of George, Marquis of Huntly, and in 1641 the king gave him as compensation
the back taxes and other payments that were owed by the bishopric of Ross for the years 1638-1641. In 1644 his horse was
taken by adherents of the Marquis of Montrose, and parliament gave him compensation of 400 merks plus 1000 merks "for his
subsistance and intertenement". (See Fasti.) [ref. 2,3]
- Arthur MITCHELL, minister of Turriff (1649-1655, 1660-1661, and 1690-1695), m. Marjory LINDSAY,
served heir to his father 29 Apr 1668, d. 23 Oct 1695. (See Fasti.) [ref. 1,2,3]
- Isobell MITCHELL, m. aft. 20 Nov 1643 Walter STUART or
STEWART. [ref. 1,2]
- Entry of 29 Sep 1710 in the Banff (burgh) register of sasines.
- Entry of 20 Nov 1643 in the Banffshire register of sasines .
- Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae, 1866 edition.
content last revised 2 Feb 2001