Intro to Media Studies BBS

Message from: catbae@MIT.EDU
About: 21L.015-- Discovering the Web

Mon, 10 Feb 1997 21:04:41 EST

• Next message: Pan: "Lab1: Omni-Camera, a revolutionnary new medium"
    URL: http://desires.com/

Why I chose it:

Urban Desires is exactly what it's name implies. It is about yuppie, urban
    desires that are fun, frivolous, luxurious, and sometimes exotic. The topics on
    the site range from those of high society fashion to that of processed foods
    (i.e. SPAM). In all, the topics address a variety of issues that are
    simultaneously interesting, yet can hardly be quantified as concrete, practical,
    and "deep". For instance, few political issues are debated, the more serious
    topics are avoided, and the tone is relatively light and humorous. In fact,while
    browsing thought the multiple layers, I was reminded of how similar the look and
    feel was to that of a fashion magazine (e.g. Cosmopolitan, Mademoiselle, and
    Marie Claire), a music magazine(e.g. Rolling Stones), or more specifically BUZZ.

It is interesting then, that an on-line tool can provide some form of
    substitution for such a popular medium as the magazine. With the advent of the
    internet and web explosion, will the common magazine dissappear? There are
    several advantages that the web site has over the paper magazine. For
    instance, live footage of fashion shows are easily viewed with a simple click.
    Footage is shown in color too! Layers upon layers can be traced through
    highlighted text, ultimately resulting in a thorough and detailed information
    session on the topic of choice. However, the end result is the same: Where will
    this cyberspace experience leave us when we are waiting in our grocery lines,
    picking at the latest edition of People or TV Guide?

You may post a follow-up message or a new message. To send a reply directly to the author, you may click on the email address above.

If you would like to submit a message using your own mail program, send it to: bbs@webmeet.mit.edu

If you are following up this article, please include the following line at the beginning of your message:
    In-Reply-To: 9702110204.AA18237@w20-575-124.MIT.EDU