Matsumoto's Words of Wisdom
L. Matsumoto, creator of Starblazers, Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express
999, etc., says a number of things in interviews, recorded on videos on his
web site. Some
- A computer can never make art, which is the expression of
the human heart. Any artist must still make the crucial parts.
- True friends who stick by you through thick and thin are priceless
- The Secret to keeping friends is to always give them an escape
route when you argue with them. That way, they can escape and come
back later and still be your friend.
- Live by the saying that says "in everything, dedicate yourself."
(This applies to dying, by the way.) A person who has lost his
spark/spirit/willpower ("ki-ryoku") cannot do anything.
- Have respect for the youthful dreams of others. Don't laugh at
them. Respect each others' dreams and go bravely forward.
- He chose his path because it was the only path where he saw a chance
for himself. It was a tremendous gamble, but he chose the road
himself, so there is no regret, succeed or fail.
- Harlock's jolly roger flag represents the determination to
keep fighting (for what one believes in). Even if reduced to
bones, I will keep fighting.
- Despite having a nature that sticks to a strict work pace (or
else he gets sick), and the ability to sleep instantly (once got
him in trouble when he slept through a fire next door), he still
can't keep his deadlines ;)
- He came through the post-War era where there was nothing (no food,
nothing). Because he clambered out of those "ashes of Hell," he no
longer fears anything. The "ashes of Hell" wound up being a great
Matsumoto Talks Character Trivia
(Explanations about his fictitious world.)
- (At this point) Captain Harlock, Queen Emeraldas,
and Galaxy Express 999 (as well as a bunch of other works) are
all really the same story told from different angles [presumably he is
talking about the newer Dark Queen plot]. Maetel Legend, however,
gives a little more background:
- Maetel and Emeraldas are twins; Emeraldas is the older. They
can almost be considered one person; Emeraldas was sent out to fight,
Maetel to love.
- Yayoi, the Millennial Queen, is the mother of Maetel and
Emeraldas. She sent them off just before her soul "died" when
she became a mechanized tyrant. She perhaps even tells them to
come back and defeat her someday.
- Queen Millennial's action starts in 1999, Yamato
(Starblazers) in 2199, and Galaxy Express 999 in 2223.
- Harlock is modeled after Matsumoto's tall and handsome friend,
the one who got piles of love letters in school. (Matsumoto,
who got none, is more like Tochiro.)