Two Heads are Better than One
It is not well known that when Bowser wishes to punish subjects in his
kingdom, he likes to execute them with one swift chop to the
neck. Unfortunately, this does not always succeed in fully severing
their head from their body, and Bowser is simply too busy for a second
chop. Every day, he eats lunch at noon, after which, every hour on the
hour, he executes a prisoner. At the end of the day, he takes the
heads he has successfully severed and lines them up on a shelf in his
castle, in alphabetical order by first name of the deceased. Today, he
executed 9 creatures, named Alice, Bob, Carol, Dave, Eve, Frank,
Gloria, Henry, and Irene, each from a different species. The species
represented among the executed included three different types of
Goombas and three different types of Koopas. In Bowser's kingdom, all
species may be of either gender (e.g., a Dancing Spear Guy may be
- Alice and Dave were the Piranha Plant and the Dark Goomba, in some order. / Alice and Dave were the Piranha Plant and the Micro-Goomba, in some order.
- Alice was a Dark Goomba and Bob was a Koopa Paratroopa. / The three Koopas were adjacent in execution.
- Alice was executed immediately after Bob, and immediately before Dave. / Neither Gloria nor the creature executed at 1pm had their head fully severed.
- All Goombas had their heads fully severed. / No Goomba had its head fully severed.
- Bob's and Dave's heads were both fully severed. / Exactly one creature's head was not fully severed before 5pm.
- Bob was executed after 6pm. / Bob was neither a Koopa nor a Goomba.
- Bob was not executed at 2pm nor 6pm. / Bob was not executed at 2pm nor 6pm.
- Both Frank and Irene were neither the Gargantua Koopa Troopa nor executed at 2pm. / The creatures executed at 6pm and 7pm both had their heads fully severed.
- Carol, Eve, the Koopa Paratroopa, and the Piranha Plant all had their heads fully severed. / Carol was executed at 3pm.
- Carol was a Blooper Nanny, Frank was a Gargantua Koopa Troopa, and Henry was a Beach Koopa. / Irene was executed before 4pm.
- Carol was an Electrogoomba and Gloria was a Micro-Goomba. / Eve was executed at 1pm.
- Eve was executed after the Dancing Spear Guy, and before the Blooper Nanny. / The creature executed at 9pm was not Alice, Bob, Dave, nor Irene.
- Exactly one creature's head was not fully severed after 5pm. / There are exactly three pairs of creatures X and Y such that Y's first name is immediately after X's in alphabetical order, and Y's execution time was (not necessarily immediately) before X's.
- Henry, who was executed after 2pm, did not have his head fully severed. / The Electrogoomba was not executed at 1pm.
- The Beach Koopa was executed sometime after the Gargantua Koopa Troopa. / The Gargantua Koopa Troopa was executed at 3pm.
- The creature executed at 3pm had its head fully severed. / The creatures executed at 1pm and 4pm had their heads fully severed.
- The Electrogoomba was executed before the Micro-Goomba, and after at least one creature whose head was not fully severed. / The Koopa Paratroopa's head was fully severed.
- The Koopa Paratroopa was executed exactly 4 hours after the Gargantua Koopa Troopa. / The three creatures that were neither Koopas nor Goombas were adjacent in execution.
- The Piranha Plant was executed exactly 2 hours after the Blooper Nanny, and exactly 2 hours before the Beach Koopa. / The Piranha Plant was executed last.