Statistics for the 2009 Mystery Hunt
- In the last eight minutes before the Hunt website went live, the server fielded 10,123 requests for the www.zyzzl.com home page. Nearly a tenth of these appear to have come in from Hella Clue.
- Most Persistent Award goes to Death From Above, for attempting 18 different answers to Our Favorite Martian over 34½ hours, finally reaching the correct answer an hour before the Hunt ended.
- Button Men:
- 1,207 games of Button Men were played during the Hunt. Overall, Central Services played the most—108 games in total, over 30 more games than any other team.
- Death From Above won the most Button Men games, 41, followed closely by Central Services with 40 and S.C. Johnson with 38. (Of course, Central Services also lost the largest number of games. They played a lot.)
- The best average was achieved by Left as an Exercise for the Reader, who won 75% of their four battles. This was followed by Eigenpirates! with their 15-6 record.
- 354 Button Men games were played head-to-head, one team against another. When playing humans, Metaphysical Plant had the best average, winning 14 of their 21 games.
- Duck Soup and Donner, Party of 30 apparently had a grudge match going—they ended up playing 11 games head-to-head, more than any other pair of teams. Donner, however, easily carved up the ducks with seven wins.
Most Commonly Called-In Incorrect Answers
- Dual Singularities, ODDSQUARES (15)
- Reverse Dimension 4, JORDAN (13)
- Good Will, Mystery Hunting, DIRECTOR (11)
- pluHarmony, WM (9)
- Suspicious Material, MOONINITE (9)
- Reverse Dimension 8, PYTHON (8)
- Mary Ka-Ching's, RAM (8)
- Well-Coordinated, TOMATO (8)
- The Spoilers of War, ATHENA (8)
- Character Test, RASCALS (7, all clearly "backsolved")
Puzzles with the widest variety of Incorrect Answers
- pluHarmony (51, including ACIDHEAD, AMBIGRAM, AMI, BAFFOBIL, BEADHEAD, BEHEADED, BIRTHDAY, BIRTHDFX, BOYS GIRLS CLUB, CANCER, CASSIOPEIA, DAFFODIL, DEADHEAD, FED, FEED, GREEN, HEADACHE, HM, JULIET, LOVE, MARRIAGE, MERRIAM-WEBSTER, NIGHTSHADE, PALE JERK, PETUNIA, REUNITED, SCOREPAD, SHY, SURETIES, SYMMETRY, THREE, TRAINS, TULIPS, UTURNS, WAGAMAMA, WALKER MEMORIAL, WALMART, WASHINGTON MUTUAL, WASTE MANAGEMENT, WHITE MALE, WILLIAM, WILLIAM AND MARY, WILLIAMSMARY, WM, YIN AND YANG, YINYANG)
- Our Favorite Martian (50, including ATOMIZED, BANKRUPT, BREAKS, BUZZ, CAPGUN, CASH, CHOSDEX, CRASH, CROP, DAFFYDUCK, ENMITY, EXECRATES, FRACTURES, GRATE, GRATES, GRISELLES, HUGO, KEDS, LEADS, LEEKS, MODULATES, MODULATOR, OBLITERATE, ORBITING, PARES, PHONEME, PLANES, POOP, RAZORS, SCALLIONS, SHEARS, SHOOT, SHOOTS, SHREDS, SLATE, SMASH, SMASHES, SPLINTERS, STALKS, STOCKS, STRAIGHT, STRAIGHT RAZOR, TAZ, THEOREM, TOTAL, TOTALS, TRIMS, WHATSUPDOC, WRING, ZAPGUN)
- Hyperextensions (44, including ARALIACEAE, AUGMENTERS, BACKLOGGING, BINARYHEAT, BOXCARS, CAPGUNS, CIRCUMSPECT, CLARET JUG, CLARETT JUG, COREL, CROSSDOWN, GNAWNQUIPS, GPU SWAPPING, HEAT, LINKEDLIST, POWERGREP, POWERGREPQ, POWERGREPQQ, POWERPOINT, QPU SWAPPING, QUATTRO, QUERY, QUICKTIME, QUIPPIC, QUIPPICS, QUIPTICS, QUITNAPPING, SEGMENTARY, SQUAW, STACK, SWANUTTING, SWAPPING, SWAPPING QUP, SWAPPING UP, TEETH, THE ECLIPSE, TOOTH, TOURNEY GAMES, UNSUPPORTED, UPSWAPPING, UPSWING, UPSWINGAPP, WORDPERFECT, WRAPPING UP)
- Space Madness (37, including BARNABY, BASIL, BELISLE, BLACKHAWK, BURE, BUZZ, CAKY, CHAIN, CIRCULAR, COPING, CROSSCUT, DELISLE, DOVES, EXCHEQUER, FIELD, GERRY, GRETZKY, HACK, HAND, HOCKEYPLAYER, HOCKEY PLAYER, HOGAN, ICE, MAKITA, MIKITA, POCKLINGTON, POWER, RECIPROCATING, SATAN, STANLEY, TABLE, WONDERFALLS, WOOD, XAZIERDELISE, X HOCKEY PLAYER, YACK)
- Reverse Dimension 4 (29, including , 23, ARABIA, ARABIAN, ASIAMINOR, CALCUTTA, CHICAGOBULLS, COTTON, INDIANRIVER, INDIATTA, JEAN-PAUL SARTRE, JORDAN, LOVELESS, LOVE LES PIPPEN, MADROJ, MICHAEL, MICHAEL JORDAN, MICHEAL, MICHEAL JORDAN, NADROJ, SCOTTIE, SQUEEZE, SUBCONTINENT, SUBCONTINENT LOVELESSPIPPEN, SUICIDE SQUEEZE, TANMM, TWENTY-THREE, UCONN)
- Invasion of the Micronauts (27, including ACTION, ARGONAUT, ATOLL, BIGDOG, BLANK, COLON, DIAMONDS, FINLAND, GWAAH, ICING, ISING, KUKIO, L, LANSING, MICROSOFT BOB, OUTKICK, PASSING, RATES, SHIM, SPAIN, STEVE, TAINT, THESPIAN, TROUT, TUTOR, WHITE, YOUTH)
- The Plutonian Transport Agency (23, including 2 WESTERN AVENUE, 36 SHERMAN STREET, ASPEN, CADILLAC, CAMPAGNA, DEBORA, ENTERPRISE, ESCALADE, IZUZU TROOPER, JEEP TIRES, JOE PATERNO, LEXINGTON, LOTUS, NOVA, PONTIAC, SEQUOIA, SOLAR, TEMPEST, THUNDERBIRD, TWO WESTERN AVE, TWO WESTERN AVENUE, WHITESWAN)
- Reverse Dimension 6 (22, including ALFREDO, ALFREDOS, ALFREDOSAUCE, BUSH, CANNELLONI ALFREDO, CRANBERRRYALFREDO, CRANBERRY, FETTUCCINE ALFREDO, FETTUCCINI, FETTUCINE, FETTUCINE ALFREDO, FETTUCINI, GINGERBEER, HELLRAISER, MAGNOLIA, MIRTILLO, MOZZARELLA, PERGOLA, PINKBEANGOOSETEA, SALSA, SAUCE, ZYZZLER)
- Mary Ka-Ching's (22, including ALMS, ANDROIDS, BRASS MONKEY, BRASS RAT, CAMO, CAPYBARA, DIED, EARTHWORM, HUNAN, HYDROCHAERUS HYDROCHAERIS, INTRACOASTAL, JASON, LAMB, LO MEIN, NEOTONA CINPREA, PAW, RAM, RODENTIA, WATERPIG, WOODOX, WOODRAT, WORM)
- Good Will, Mystery Hunting (21, including ANGEL, ANGELS, BEN AFFLECK, BOOTLEGGER, BUTCHER, CASSIOPEIA, DIRECTOR, DOUBT FIRE, DRUG DEALER, GOD, HEATH LEDGER, HENDERSON, JASON LEE, JESUSCHRIST, KIDMAN, MOONSHINER, MORGAN FREEMAN, PROSTITUTE, ROBIN WILLIAMS, SEAN, STELLAN SKARSGAARD OR CLOSE APPROXIMATION)