M Puzzle: Antiphony
by Marc Moskowitz
Antiphony is call-and-response. The melodies are all pop songs that refer or respond to some other song. The lyrics below each are from the song it refers to. (In one case, both are from a song that refers to itself.)
The songs, in order that they appear in chant notation (alphabetical by Latin text), with the translations of the lyrics for the referred-to songs and the lyrics that correspond to the music for the referring songs:
- Somewhere (Bernstein): "Someday, somewhere, we'll find a new way of living, we'll find a way of forgiving, somewhere, somewhere."
Romeo And Juliet (Dire Straits): "Juliet, the dice were loaded from the start, and I bet, and you exploded into my heart, and I forget, I forget the movie song, when you gonna realise it was just that the time was wrong, Juliet?"
- Love Me Do (The Beatles): "Love, love me do, you know I love you, I'll always be true, so please, love me do. Oh, love me do."
Shooting Star (Bad Company): "Johnny was a school boy when he heard his first Beatles song. Love me Do, I think it was and from there is didn't take him long. Got himself a guitar, used to play every night. Now he's in a rock & roll outfit, and everything's all right."
- That'll Be The Day (Buddy Holly and the Crickets): "Well, you give me all your lovin' And your turtle dovin', All your hugs and kisses And your money too, Well, you know you love me baby..."
American Pie (Don McLean): "A long long time ago, I can still remember how that music used to make me smile. And I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people dance and maybe they'd be happy for a while."
- It's My Party (Leslie Gore): "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to, cry if I want to, you would cry too if it happened to you."
Judy's Turn To Cry (Leslie Gore): "'Cause now it's Judy's turn to cry, Judy's turn to cry, Judy's turn to cry-y-y-y-y-y, 'cause Johnny's come back (Johnny's come back, come back) to me."
- Runaway (Del Shannon): "As I walk along I wonder what went wrong with our love, a love that was strong. And as I walk along, I think of the things we did together while our hearts were young"
Runnin' Down A Dream (Tom Petty): "It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down, I had the radio on, I was drivin'. Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway, I was flyin'."
- I Am The Walrus (The Beatles): "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly. I'm crying. Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come..."
Glass Onion (The Beatles): "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly. I'm crying. Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come..."
- California Dreaming (The Mamas and the Papas): "All the leaves are brown And the sky is grey I've been for a walk On a winter's day I'd be safe and warm If I was in L.A. [California] dreaming..."
Punk Rock Girl (Dead Milkmen): "One saturday I took a walk to Zipperhead I met a girl there and she almost knocked me dead Punk rock girl, please look at me Punk rock girl, what did you see? Let's travel around the world Just you and me, punk rock girl"
- We'll Meet Again (Vera Lynn): "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when But I'm sure we'll meet again some sunny day Keep smiling through, just the way you used to do Till the blue skies chase the dark clouds far away"
Vera (Pink Floyd): "Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn? Remember how she said that we would meet again some sunny day. Vera! Vera! what has become of you? does anybody else in here feel the way I do?"
- Galway Bay (Traditional): "If you ever go across the sea to Ireland, Then maybe at the closing of your day, You will sit and watch the moonrise over Claddagh, And see the sun go down on Galway Bay."
Fairytale Of New York (The Pogues): "It was Christmas Eve babe In the drunk tank An old man said to me, Won't see another one And then he sang a song 'The Rare Old Mountain Dew' I turned my face away And dreamed about you"
- God Save The Queen (Traditional): "God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!"
God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols): "Don't be told what you want, don't be told what you need. There's no future, no future, no future for you."
- Yellow (Coldplay): "Look at the stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah, they were all yellow. I came along, I wrote a song for you, And all the things you do, And it was called 'Yellow.'"
Yellow (Coldplay): same
- Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan): "Early one mornin' the sun was shinin', I was layin' in bed Wond'rin' if she'd changed at all If her hair was still red."
Only Wanna Be With You (Hootie and the Blowfish): "You and me, we come from diff'rent worlds You like to laugh at me when I look at other girls Sometimes you're crazy and you wonder why I'm such a baby 'cause the Dolphins make me cry"
- Southern Man (Neil Young): "Southern man better keep your head Don't forget what your good book said Southern change gonna come..."
Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd): "Big wheels keep on turnin', Carry me home to see my kin. Singin' songs about the southland. I miss ole 'bamy once again and I think it's a sin."
Filling both song titles into the crosses and taking the two letters at the intersection--first of the referred-to song, then of the referrer--spells out "HEADGEAR FOR A DEAD HOLY PERSON" which is HALO.
As the reference to "mapping" indicates, this is trained by cartography. Decrypting the word HALO gives the real answer, which is BOYS.