Math149S: Problem Solving SeminarThis is a resource page for undergraduate level math problem solving, especially those preparing for the Putnam math contest. Here are the lecture slides and problem sets from the Math problem solving class Math149S that I co-taught with Matt Rognlie in Fall 2009 at Duke University. The class met every Wednesday from 7:30pm to 9:00pm. Those who are interested to take the current version of this half-credit class should contact Dr. Kraines. Please cite this page if you use the slides.
- 8/27: Introduction to Math149S. Slides. Problem Set 0. Solutions.
- 9/2: Pigeonhole Principle. Slides. Problem Set 1.
- 9/9: Invariance/Extremal Principle. Slides. Problem Set 2.
- 9/16: Counting and Probability Slides. Problem Set 3.
- 9/23: Induction Slides. Problem Set 4.
- 9/30: Inequalities Slides.Formula sheet. Problem Set 5.
- 10/7: Analysis/Sequences and series Slides.Cheat sheet. Problem Set 6.
- 10/14: Integration Slides. Problem Set 7.
- 10/21: VTech practice
- 10/28: Preparation for Duke Math Meet
- 11/4: Linear algebra/functional equations Functional Equations Slides. Linear Algebra Slides. Functional Equations Partial Problem Set.
- 11/11: Algebra/polynomials Slides. Problem Set 9.
- 11/18: Number theory Slides. Problem Set 10.
- 11/25: ****Thanksgiving***
- 12/2: Putnam practice