MATH318: Project Scheduling
The purpose of this exercise is to practice determining earliest
finish time and critical activities using a project network. Work in
pairs or groups of three on this project; it will be turned in for a
check/no check grade.
Bridgewater State College's Faculty
Hiring Manual outlines the steps a faculty search committee must
take in order to hire a new department member. A partial list of
hiring committee activities is described in the table below. (The
time required to get approval from the college Dean is built into the
time estimate for each step.)
Predecessor||Activity Time (days)|
|B||Select Candidates for Phone Interview||A||4|
|C||Choose Rationales for (Non-)Inclusion||A||6|
|D||Select Phone Interview Questions||-||3|
|E||Schedule and Conduct Phone Interviews||B, C, D||
|G||Choose Rationales for (Non-)Inclusion||E||4|
|H||Schedule and Conduct On-Campus Interviews||F, G||
|I||Submit Recommendations to Dean||H||5|
- Create a network for this project; your result should be similar
to the network shown in figure 12.2.
- Use the project network and the activity time estimates to fill
in the earliest start and finish times for each activity. The result
should be similar to figure 12.5.
- What is the earliest finish time for this project?
- Make a "backward pass" through the network to identify the latest
start and finish time for each activity. The result should be similar
to figure 12.6.
- What are the critical activities for this project?
- Develop an activity schedule for this project; your result should
be a table similar to table 12.2.