MATH 100: Precalculus
Graphing and Distance
The purpose of this exercise is to familiarize yourself with plotting
points and computing distances on the number line and in the Cartesian
plane. You may work in groups of 2 or 3 students on this project; if
you get stuck, ask a neighboring group for help!
- For each problem, graph the points and find the
distance between them.
- Points -1 and 3 on the number line.
- Points 2 and -3 on the number line.
- Points (2,0) and (-3,0) in the Cartesian plane.
- Points (0,3) and (0,1) in the Cartesian plane.
- Points (1,1) and (3,4) in the Cartesian plane.
- Give the coordinates of four different points that are exactly 2
units away from the point (3,1) in the Cartesian plane.