eugenewu at mit dot edu
I previously studied at UC Berkeley and finished Fall 2006
Visualizing and understanding lots of data
Ultimate frisbee, biking, running Trying not to injure myself
The current release added
- color aesthetics
- nested table support in the data model
- layout algorithms that understand label sizes (notice how y axis labels don't overlap with the y axis label)
- coordinate transforms (the bars are flipped)
- line and area geometries
- area stacking positioning transformations
Coming up with approaches to efficiently store, represent and prioritize provenance data
A tool to import your data into whatever data store you want, as painlessly as possible. See article for motivation
MEET strives to bridge the gap between future Israeli and Palestinian leaders by immersing them together for 3 full years of fun and education. MIT business and technical instructors work in the Middle East for a month-long intensive session during the summer. I was one of four Year 3 technical instructors in 2010, and helped head the curriculum team for the past 3 years
A look at optimizing human computation through a database lens. Qurk is a database prototype that enables users to write queries that compute results from both machines and humans. With adam marcus.
A quick analysis of top keywords in VLDB conference paper titles in the past 11 years
I co-taught a heavily lab-based IAP class called Introduction to Data Literacy that introduces students to many basic data cleaning, analysis, and visualization techniques. The course was added to OCW. With my buddy adam marcus.
An experimental course scheduling system. Tries to make the user experience not suck by using JS. This was around the time google calendar came out. With sukhchander khanna
- Eugene Wu, Samuel Madden Scorpion: Explaining Away Outliers in Aggregate Queries (preprint) VLDB 2013
- Eugene Wu, Samuel Madden, Michael Stonebraker SubZero: a Fine-Grained Lineage System for Scientific Databases ICDE 2013
- Eugene Wu, Samuel Madden, Michael Stonebraker A Demonstration of DBWipes: Clean as You Query VLDB 2012
- Adam Marcus, Eugene Wu, David Karger, Samuel Madden, Robert Miller Human-powered Sorts and Joins VLDB 2012
- Eugene Wu, Sam Madden: Partitioning Techniques for Fine-grained Indexing ICDE 2011
- Adam Marcus, Eugene Wu, David Karger, Samuel Madden, Robert Miller: Demonstration of Qurk: A Query Processor for Human Operators SIGMOD 2011
- Eugene Wu, Carlo Curino, Sam Madden: No Bits Left Behind CIDR 2011
- Adam Marcus, Eugene Wu, Sam Madden, Robert Miller: Crowdsourced Databases: Query Processing with People CIDR 2011
- Carlo Curino, Evan Jones, Raluca Popa, Nirmesh Malviya, Eugene Wu, Sam Madden, Hari Balakrishnan, Nickolai Zeldovich: Relational Cloud: A Database-as-a-Service for the Cloud CIDR 2011
- Carlo Curino, Evan Jones, Yang Zhang, Eugene Wu, Sam Madden: Relational Cloud: The Case for a Database Service Technical Report
- Philippe Cudre-Mauroux, Eugene Wu, Sam Madden: TrajStore: An Adaptive Storage System for Very Large Trajectory Data Sets ICDE 2010
- Eugene Wu, Philippe Cudre-Mauroux, Sam Madden: Demonstration of the TrajStore System VLDB 2009
- Philippe Cudre-Mauroux, Eugene Wu, Sam Madden: The Case for RodentStore: An Adaptive, Declarative Storage System CIDR 2009
- Michael Cafarella, Alon Halevy, Daisy Wang, Eugene Wu, Yang Zhang: WebTables: Exploring the Power of Tables on the Web VLDB 2008
- Michael Cafarella, Nodira Khoussainova, Daisy Wang, Eugene Wu, Yang Zhang, Alon Halevy: Uncovering the Relational Web WebDB 2008
- Daniel Gyllstrom, Eugene Wu, Hee-Jin Chae, Yanlei Diao, Patrick Stahlberg, Gordon Anderson: SASE: Complex Event Processing over Streams (Demo). CIDR 2007
- Eugene Wu, Yanlei Diao, Shariq Rizvi: High-performance complex event processing over streams. SIGMOD Conference 2006
- Daniel Gyllstrom, Eugene Wu, Hee-Jin Chae, Yanlei Diao, Patrick Stahlberg, Gordon Anderson: SASE: Complex Event Processing over Streams CoRR 2006
- Minos N. Garofalakis, Kurt P. Brown, Michael J. Franklin, Joseph M. Hellerstein, Daisy Zhe Wang, Eirinaios Michelakis, Liviu Tancau, Eugene Wu, Shawn R. Jeffery, Ryan Aipperspach: Probabilistic Data Management for Pervasive Computing: The Data Furnace Project. IEEE Data Eng. Bull.
- Michael J. Franklin, Shawn R. Jeffery, Sailesh Krishnamurthy, Frederick Reiss, Shariq Rizvi, Eugene Wu, Owen Cooper, Anil Edakkunni, Wei Hong: Design Considerations for High Fan-In Systems: The HiFi Approach. CIDR 2005
- Owen Cooper, Anil Edakkunni, Michael J. Franklin, Wei Hong, Shawn R. Jeffery, Sailesh Krishnamurthy, Frederick Reiss, Shariq Rizvi, Eugene Wu: HiFi: A Unified Architecture for High Fan-in Systems. VLDB 2004
I've worked at
- Google Internship in Webtables research project. Spring 2007 - Winter 2008
- UC Berkeley Database Teaching Assistant. Fall 2006
- Yahoo Internship in RDF Databases. Summer 2006.
- Microsoft Internship in Exchange Server. Summer 2005.
- IBM Extreme Blue. Spring 2005.