I am a fifth-year Ph.D. student in Operations Research at MIT. Before this, I obtained my B.A. in Mathematics at the University of Cambridge. Both my graduate and undergraduate studies have been generously funded by the Agency for Science, Technology and Research in Singapore. I have also completed research internships at Amazon and the Institute for Infocomm Research. My CV can be found here.
My research advisors are Retsef Levi and Georgia Perakis. My research interests lie broadly in formulating and solving mathematical optimization models to aid decision making for real world applications. Currently, I am most actively working on a project about a batch scheduling problem with submodular cost functions, with applications to warehouse picking for online retail.
- Submodular batch scheduling for warehouse picking with R. Levi and G. Perakis, working paper.
- Robustly minimizing a piecewise-linear cost function with respect to uncertainty in mixed demand with R. Levi and G. Perakis, working paper.
- An estimation and optimization framework for capturing interdependencies in choice modeling with M. Copenhaver, working paper.
- A unified perspective on random serial dictatorship and the Boston mechanism with M. Copenhaver, working paper.
- Backhauling in heterogeneous cellular networks: Modeling and tradeoffs with T. Q. S. Quek and M. Kountouris, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 14(6): 3194-3206, 2015.
- Imputing missing values in sensor networks using sparse data representations with L. Z. Wong, H. Chen and S. Lin, Proceedings of the 17th ACM International Conference on Modeling, analysis and simulation of wireless and mobile systems, 227-230, 2014.
- Wireless backhaul in small cell networks: Modelling and analysis with T. Q. S. Quek and M. Kountouris, Proceedings of the IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference Spring, 2014.
- Ordinal-based method for robust image/video signature generation with L. Chaisorn and S. Rahardja, Proceedings of SPIE Optics and Photonics, 2008.
- Submodular Batch Scheduling for Warehouse Picking
- Robust Newsvendor Facing Mixed Demand
Operations Research Center
77 Massachusetts Avenue, E40-103
Cambridge, MA 02139
dcchen at mit dot edu