PhD candidate in Operations Research at MIT
Contact: bsturt (at) mit (dot) edu
CV, Google scholar
I am a fourth-year PhD candidate in the Operations Research Center at MIT, where I am advised by Dimitris Bertsimas. My research interests lie at the intersection of data-driven optimization under uncertainty, dynamic decision making, statistical learning theory, and applications in operations management.
I did my undergraduate studies in Computer Engineering and the Hoeft Technology and Management Program at the University of Illinois in Urbana, Champaign, where I was a Chancellor's Scholar. Prior to starting my Ph.D, I worked with Jiawei Han and Marta Gonzalez in data mining, with applications in recommendation systems and transportation.
- A Data-Driven Approach for Multi-Stage Linear Optimization (with D. Bertsimas and S. Shtern), 2018. (Preprint).
Computation of Exact Bootstrap Confidence Intervals: Complexity and Deterministic Algorithms (with D. Bertsimas), 2017. (Preprint).
- Second Place in the INFORMS George Nicholson Student Paper Competition, 2017.
- Data-Driven Two-Stage Adaptive Optimization (with D. Bertsimas and S. Shtern), 2017.
- The Path Most Traveled: Travel demand estimation using big data resources (with J.L. Toole, S. Colak, L.P. Alexander, A. Evsukoff, and M.C. González), Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 2015. (Final article).
- Personalized Entity Recommendation in Heterogeneous Information Networks with Implicit User Feedback (with X. Yu, X. Ren, Y. Sun, Q. Gu, U. Khandelwal, B. Norick, and J. Han), Proceedings of the 7th ACM international conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM), 2014. (Final article).
- Recommendation in heterogeneous information networks with implicit user feedback (with X. Yu, X. Ren, Y. Sun, U. Khandelwal, Q. Gu, B. Norick, and J. Han), Proceedings of the 7th ACM conference on Recommender systems, 2013. (Final article).
- 15.778: Introduction to Operations Management (Sloan Fellows MBA Core), Summer 2018.
- Teaching assistant for Vivek Farias.
- 15.S60: Computation for Optimization and Statistics (PhD, MBA Elective)
- Co-organizer and Instructor, January 2019, 2018, 2017.
- 15.093: Optimization Methods (MBAn Core, PhD Elective), Fall 2017.
- Teaching assistant for Shimrit Shtern.
- 15.060: Data, Models, and Decisions (MBA Core), Fall 2016.
- Teaching assistant for Georgia Perakis and David Gamarnik.
- Received the 2016-2017 MIT Sloan Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award.
- CS 374: Algorithms and Models of Computation (Pilot offering, UIUC), Spring 2014.
- Teaching assistant for Jeff Erickson and Leonard Pitt.
- Facebook: Data Scientist (intern): Menlo Park, CA, Summer 2015.
- Google: Software Engineer (intern): Mountain View, CA, Summer 2013.
- Garmin: Software Engineer (intern): Olathe, KS, Summer 2012.