Zion is a replacement for zwgc, the zephyr windowgram client for
Athena's zephyr messaging system. It is essentially zwgc with the
.zwgc.desc language replaced by perl5. As of September 30th, it is a
public beta release.
Beta users are encouraged to add themselves to the
zion-testers mailing list, as below, and read
Adding yourself to zion-testers:
blanche zion-testers -a $USER
This will be a relatively low traffic list for announcements and the
Zion 0.9 currently runs on Solaris, Linux(a.out), NetBSD, IRIX and
To run zion do:
Additionally, you probably want to kill zwgc first. If you want to run
zion by default, you need the following in your .environment file:
And then, in your .startup.X:
from -t -n
(olc who &) >& /dev/null
(assuming you want those things to happen as they normally would)
You have to do the same thing, but set skip_tty_startup to make it
work for tty logins (and make the changes in .startup.tty)
If you have a .zion.desc.pl in your homedir, it will use that. Otherwise, it will use a default, /afs/sipb/project/zion/share/zion.desc.pl.
There are two main approaches to your .zion.desc.pl file. First, is
to use the new feature based system. This is recommended. Read about the system.
Or, you can just write your own .zion.desc.pl from scratch.
This is not recommended, but basic documentation is available.
If you find bugs, email them to me (I'll create a bug-zion list soon),
put a copy of your zionlog file and the coredump (if there is one) in
/afs/sipb/project/zion/coredumps/ with an intelligent name. I
Feel free to debug more thoroughly, if you feel like it. :-)
- If you get a zephyr with @large() text in it, it will spit out "Large stuff here..." to stderr (old debugging output) [Fixed on: Linux & IRIX]
- Dynamic loading of modules doesn't work
- Extraneous premature invocation of initprogs. FIXED
- -f doesn't work at all. FIXED
- -ttymode doesn't work right at all. FIXED
- It will be very confused if you don't have a ~/.zion.desc.pl (but the run-zion script kludges this by creating one for you) FIXED
- It doesn't find it's default font resources file the right way (but the run-zion script kludges this for now) FIXED
- zctl wg_read only works once. It crashes after that. It works find on SGIs. FIXED
- On linux, messages get truncated to the length of the zsig. FIXED