Jake Baker Legal Documents Page
This page contains links to legal and quasi-legal documents
related to the Jake Baker case. The SAFE Baker case archive
has several other documents that may be of interest.
Currently Available Information
- Judge Cohn's Ruling
- The full text of Judge Cohn's ruling in favor of Baker, made
available online by Stuart Beraha.
- FBI Affidavit
- A copy of the affidavit filed by Greg Stetskal, Special
Agent Federal Bureau of Investigation to get the warrant for Baker's
arrest. There are some typos, apparently from an OCR scan.
- 18 U.S.C. s 875(c)
- The federal law Baker is charged with breaking.
- Legal definition of obscenity
- The conditions which define something as obscene, as defined
by the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Legal definition of threat
- The conditions which define a communication as a threat, as defined
by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Government Appeal Rights
- Although it hasn't yet, the government has the right to appeal the
dismissal of charges.
Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities
- The University of Michigan's code of non-academic conduct. Particularly
relevant are student rights (including freedom of press) and prohibited actions.
- Regents' Bylaw 2.01
- Authority of the University President
- Judge Shelton's 1990 ruling on Hash Bash
- A county judge's 1990 ruling permitting a marijuana legalization rally
to take place despite the university's objections. In some ways, oddly
prophetic of the university's handling of the Baker case.